out with the old, in with the new
In the venerable words of the Counting Crows: It’s been a long December and there’s reason to believe, maybe this month will be better than the last.
Ok maybe that’s not exactly how the song goes, but it’s how I feel right now. December has been a sick month in our house. It’s been going around and around and each bug seems worse than the one before.
This New Year is bittersweet for me. Leaving 2012 behind means leaving behind parts of my life that I will always hold dear. Pregnancy. Childbirth. Those first few weeks with a newborn that, as hard as they are, are so blissful. So insulated from the world. These are no small ticket items in my heart. And I have to admit to being a little choked at the thought of bidding goodbye to a year that held so much.
Like Laura, I think 2012 will be a hard one to top. And that’s ok. In every life there must be a best year. And I do hope mine is ahead. But if ever a year outshines 2012, I know it will always rank among the rare few at the very very top.
Gosh I didn’t think I’d be so emotional. Maybe it’s because my dear aunt Flo decided to crash our New Year’s celebration. Maybe it’s because sleep has been scarce and amoxicillin abundant in our home. Maybe I just really loved being pregnant, giving birth, and wondering over a new baby on both occasions that I have been so so incredibly lucky to experience. Maybe I am a little sad it’s over.
But all of that is SO last year… on to 2013! Let’s look forward.
In order to stop my wallowing weirdness I’m going to make a top ten list of things I’m looking forward to in 2013!
1. My baby sister’s wedding in July. She picked out her wedding dress this weekend and oh my goodness my baby sister is getting MARRIED.
2. Jude’s firsts: steps. words. tantrums.
3. Masa getting the Big Snip. (yes, contrary to my angstiness above, I’m looking forward to this. more thoughts at a later date.)
4. Finding a home that we can raise our boys in for the next couple of decades.
5. Family camping trip(s).
6. Seeing a good friend of mine through the first few months of motherhood. She’s due in March and I’m so excited for them.
7. Not having to worry about saving up leave time anymore. The last few years have been all about conserving leave for maternity. Now I get to take a sick day when I need it without worrying it will cost me time away from my future baby.
8. Getting back into running. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to this one.
9. Sleep. Sleep has been a disaster in our house, for many varied and compounded reasons. But by a year from now, things have to be better. Right? … right?
10. Last but not least! Masa and I will have been together for 10 years in May. I’m looking forward to this milestone in our relationship. Heck maybe we’ll even try to take a romantic night away. Or maybe we’ll just smile at each other over the chaos and know that these – all of these – are the best years of our lives.
Happy New Year friends. May love find you, laughter bless you and happiness grace your 2013.